At first glance, The Sandbox looks like other “sandboxy” open world games like Minecraft or Roblox. Players meet in virtual worlds, reshape the landscape, build and organize themselves. The Non-fungible Tokens (NFTs) add a new dimension to the gameplay. According to the Play-2-Earn principle, players can win SAND tokens by completing tasks. SAND is still the currency to buy LAND. These are NFTs that represent land in the virtual world.
How to play The Sandbox on PC
Our Sandbox guide refers solely to the PC version of the game. In addition to a standard PC, players in the USA or England will need the Google Chrome browser or a comparable browser that is compatible with web wallets. The Brave browser is also a good choice. It is not necessary to own SAND to get started. However, you will need some Ethereum for the gas charges. Our tutorial on The Sandbox game should help you get started easily.
Step 1: Sign up for The Sandbox
For blockchain games, you will need a browser wallet. Google Chrome or the Brave browser are the best whale for a browser wallet. The Sandbox recommends the following three wallets: MetaMask, Bitski, Venly (Arkane).
Important: Install the wallet only from the official website. This will protect you from fraud. Integrate the wallet into your browser and write down the keyphrase exactly. It is best to do this on a piece of paper, not on your PC. After that, all you have to do is sign up on the official website of The Sandbox by clicking on “Sign In”. During the registration process, the game connects to the wallet integrated in the browser.
We will take MetaMask as an example for our Sandbox game tutorial
- When you sign in, you receive a message to enter a signature in the wallet. With this, you confirm the connection to the blockchain game.
- After that, enter an email address and a username.
- Then click on “Create Account.” This completes the registration process. When logging in, you will also select the wallet that you previously registered.
- The dashboard will now open. Under the “Me” tab, you can make personal settings. You can change the email address or password here, or add a description
- The avatar is important. Click on “Create Avatar” and create your own game character here.
Step 2: How do I buy SAND?
The next step in our tutorial is not mandatory, but for some functions you need SAND. This is the utility token of The Sandbox and an in-game currency. There are several ways to get the token. For example, you can win the token in the Blockchain Game by completing tasks. Furthermore, users can create and monetize their own games using the Game Maker. There is also the token available for purchase on some Exchanges. So far, the following trading venues are available for SAND purchases:
- Binance: Binance is currently the largest crypto exchange in the world. Registration and entry are kept quite simple and done quickly. SAND tokens can be purchased on Binance with Bitcoin, the stable coins USDT and BUSD and the own Binance Coin (BNB). To do this, you click on “Buy Crypto”, buy the cryptocurrency and then exchange it for SAND. Or they transfer your cryptos to the account of Binance.
- Simplex: Simplex allows you to buy SAND using a credit card. The service is integrated directly into The Sandbox’s dashboard. Click on “Me”, then Simplex and you will be redirected to the payment process.
- Uniswap: You can also be redirected directly to Uniswap via “Me”. The accepted payment method for purchasing the SAND token here is Ethereum (ETH). At Uniswap, click on “Launch App” and then on “Connect to a wallet”. MetaMask or another browser wallet that supports Ethereum is a good choice for this. Once connected, swap the Ethereum to SAND and then click “Swap”.
- MetaMask: The MetaMask wallet allows you to swap Ether for another Ethereum-based cryptocurrency. The SAND token is one of them. To do so, click on the “Swap” button and then search for the token. Then click on “Get quotes.” You will now see the available trade offers. Pick the best one and click on “Swap”.
SAND can in turn be sold on the specified exchanges. You will then receive bitcoin, USDT or BUSD, for example, as the exchange currency. Or you can exchange the token for Ethereum via MetaMask. Then you just need to sell the cryptocurrencies for a fiat money.
Step 3: Enter the sandbox world
With that, you have everything you need to enter the world of The Sandbox. Initially, only the Alpha Launch is available. In the center of The Sandbox you will find the Social Hubs. This is where players meet, exchange ideas with each other and arrange to go on adventures together. With the help of portals, players then travel to the different worlds. To gain access to games, you may need SAND, the cryptocurrency of the blockchain game.
Which games these are depends on what the users create with the help of the Game Maker. RPGs and adventure games that make use of the open-world aspect would be conceivable. Other genres would also be theoretically possible. So far, only a few templates and previews can be tried out in the Game Maker software. Exact instructions on how to play these games are then provided by their developers as in-game tutorials.
Optional step: Buy LAND
LAND is an NFT within the blockchain game. The Non-fungible Tokens represent land ownership in the game world. Users need LAND to create their own worlds and provide their own games. The token is not necessary to play the Blockchain Game. This step of the tutorial is completely optional. First, you will need some Ethereum in your wallet to pay the fees for the eventual purchase.
What LAND is available is indicated by the map on the website. LAND will be sold one by one. Furthermore, it is possible to purchase the NFTs on OpenSea or Rarible. Within the blockchain game, SAND is the means of payment for LAND tokens. If there is a piece of LAND available on the map, click on it. Available land is gray, special land that is also available is shown in yellow. Once you click on the “Buy” button, you have booked the land. The connected wallet will open and you will be shown the gas fees and the SAND price. If you do not complete the purchase after two hours, then the LAND will be available to everyone again.
LAND can later be sold on The Sandbox’s marketplace. This feature will be added to the game over time. Alternatively, you can sell it on OpenSea or Rarible. The rental feature is not currently enabled.
How do I use the sound component of the game?
This video covers the basics of using the Play Sound component in The Sandbox’s Game Maker. Music and sounds are an integral part of creating immersive and engaging experiences.
What are gas fees?You can't play the Sandbox game without gas fees. They are incurred when transactions are made on the Ethereum blockchain. Gas fees are the reward for miners. The more transactions there are on the network, the higher the fees. Therefore, users can set their own gas fees. If they are lower than the average, then miners may ignore that transaction. On the other hand, they prioritize higher gas amounts. More about gas fees
The first alpha launch will run from November 29, 2021. Until December 20 of that year, a few selected players will be able to explore the blockchain world of The Sandbox for the first time. It is not yet clear when the beta launch will take place or when the game will be officially released.
Both games follow similar approaches, but are very different. In The Sandbox, for example, you can’t dig up the entire landscape like in Minecraft. Instead, users create their own games with their own rules using Game Maker. They can then monetize these. The NFTs and the Play-2-Earn factor are a special feature of the blockchain game.
MetaMask is one of the most popular wallets around. This is partly due to the DeFi section, but various other blockchain games can also be connected to the wallet. It can be set up quickly and has additional features like token swap. Browser wallets, however, are rather insecure. It is best to store only those cryptocurrencies here that you intend to use in the near future.